Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Cha-Ching

On Tuesday Night I went to Covington to look at a van that was WAY OUTof our price range. Why? Well, because the sales guy said they had another one without all the things that made this one WAY OUTof our range at thier Dyersburg location, but he didn't want to bring it down if I hated the really nice one at the Covington location. So I went, with four kids to look out this van. We get there and at first I am not impressed (much). Then I load all four kids, and cars seats and stuff, shoes, jacket, keys,purse---you know--the norm. The kids are cold, I said give it a minute to warm up and I will turn on the heater. Before I pull out of the parking lot the heater is ready, how cool, actually warm, is that. So I test drive this van for about 15 minutes. The whole time I am listening to four little debt encouragers, formally known as my children, tell me why this is the "COOLEST VAN EVER!" If I had a dollar for every "coolest thing ever" on the test drive, I may have been able to pay cash for the COOLEST VAN EVER when we returned to the dealership. I pulled back into the parking lot and it was confirmed in my heart that I should not have driven the COOLEST VAN EVER cuz it was way out of our price range and there was no way we were gonna buy it so why, oh why, must I torture myself and kids. As I turned the engine off, told the kids to unload and reload in our borrowed van, I slide out of the COOLEST VAN EVER, said my tearful goodbye with promises to visit soon, only to see a grinning salesman looking at me. I very bravely and firmly said, that was a bad decision to drive this van. His smile faded and he said "You, didn't like it?" I said are ya nuts, of course I liked it! It's the COOLEST VAN EVER but it's not even close to our price range. The grin returned, and something that looked alot like dollar sign appeared in his eyes. I used my mommy voice and said, please don't make any advance purchases on this commission cuz we are not buying this van even if it is the COOLEST VAN EVER. I was firm, I was sure, Iwas confident-----and then I followed him inside to fill out the prequalfacation paperwork to see if we could get a loan. Why? you might ask. Well, duh cuz it's the (say it with me now) COOLEST VAN EVER! Seriously, we are not getting this van! I think that any time you can actually hear the money leaving your checking account before you have even decided to but something ----that my friend is a sing that is never a good thing!

2 comments:

Lorrie said...

How exciting and scarey at the same time!!! Is this dealership, a ford dealership by any chance? We bought our van through Jerol Hopkins and used Daniel. He was a part time youth pastor for one of the small churches there. Anyhoo, I must tell you, several years and way too many payments later, I was talking with a banker friend of ours who shall remain nameless, and discovered we probably should have called Capitol One. Yep. Apparently you can get any kind of loan through them at a much better interest rate than say, the bank you work for...hmmm. So, in the name of being a good steward, you might want to check them out. You neeeeeeeed a van, girl. I would buy you one myself if I had a few extra thousand dollars lying around. But, I don't, so sorry.
Good luck. Oh yeah, I do have a young friend who drives a minivan, that you might could talk out of for a great price. I'm guessing, under five thousand. But I don't know the condition of the van. It's white and I think it's a caravan. The girls twenty, and single, driving a minivan. Go figure.
L-

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, we were in the same situation as ya'll before and I know the feeling. Now we have 2 vehicle notes that add up to almost $100 more each month than our house payment!
P.S. You are more brave and self controlled than I- Jer won't even let me think about going with him to a dealership- as I once got a little ugly with the salesman.